Beautiful floors, made easy.
As a flooring contractor, do you want to go beyond traditional epoxy flooring solutions? Metallic epoxy floors are the most popular way to make any floor truly unique. With metallic epoxy, you can create stunning floors with an incredible range of patterns, colors. It’s even possible to mimic marble floors!
In this guide, we’ll break down everything you need to know to achieve a beautiful marble finish. But if that’s not enough for you, join our 5-day epoxy training course today to get hands-on experience alongside industry veterans!
What is Metallic Epoxy?
Marble floors are considered the most luxurious floors available. But, the cost is too high a barrier for most. Marble flooring has a new, cheaper, stronger contender in flooring though. Epoxy floors are the gold standard in terms of practical flooring, yet many have learned how beautiful they really can be, too.
Metallic epoxy floors incorporate metallic pigments that, when mixed with the base epoxy resin, create a stunning effect that mimics the look of natural marble. The result is a seamless glossy finish that combines the high strength of epoxy resin with the timelessly beautiful finish of marble.
Metallic epoxy is best seen, not described. From its iconic waves and streaks, to its gloss, it’s truly a sight to behold. It’s best used in showrooms and game room floors, but it’s best to consult with a professional to see where these floors might be best for you.
Get Ready for Metallic Epoxy Flooring!
For any contractor worth their salt, they know surface preparation is the key to success. Make sure the concrete foundation is clean and free of any debris or moisture. Mild soap and cleanser is often enough, but if you really want to go above and beyond, there are surface preparation solutions that help make the perfect floor. If your concrete foundation is uneven, it’s important to make sure it’s completely level.
We’ve written an exhaustive guide to surface preparation for garage floors specifically, but those lessons are easy to scale up. If you’re interested in learning how to perfectly install epoxy floors every time, sign up for our Epoxy Classes certification course!
Step-by-Step: Guide to Marble Metallic Epoxy Floors
It’s easy to add a touch of elegance to your client’s home or office, because metallic epoxy makes it easy. Floors don’t have to be dull, dirty, or uninspired. Any showroom you take on can be a work of art itself, and with little extra investment on your end. Each floor is unique because each contractor is unique, but there are a few fundamental considerations.
Follow this step-by-step guide to achieve the best results:
Metallic Epoxy 101: A Contractor’s Guide
- Prepare the Surface: As we’ve just mentioned, surface preparation is the most underrated step in the whole installation process. Take care during this, and get it right the first time.
- Apply Primer/Grind the Floor: Not every concrete floor is perfect! If your floors are uneven or otherwise imperfect, there are important steps to take to make sure the end result is strong and perfect. Make sure your concrete floors are level!
- Mix the Epoxy: The next step is to mix the metallic epoxy. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the mixing ratio and any additional steps. Mix thoroughly, mix carefully and work fast after mixing!
- Add Pigment: Once the epoxy is mixed, add the desired pigment to create the marble effect. Start with a small amount of pigment and gradually add more until you achieve the desired color and effect. EpoxyETC offers an amazing line of pigments.
- Apply the Epoxy: Use a roller/brush to apply the metallic epoxy to the surface. Work quickly to spread the epoxy evenly before it begins to set, especially if you’re using polyaspartic resin. If you really want the best results, use a high quality resin!
- Begin Marbling: To create the marble effect, use a paintbrush, sponge, or other tool to blend and manipulate the epoxy. From swirling the colors together, dragging a tool through the epoxy, or using a feather to create veins, the choice is yours.
- Allow to Cure: Allow the metallic epoxy to cure according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This typically takes several hours to overnight.
- Apply a Topcoat: Once the metallic epoxy layer is fully cured, apply a clear topcoat to protect the surface and enhance the shine. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the topcoat.
The end result is a stunning floor that is durable, easy to clean, and sure to impress!
In conclusion, marble floors with metallic epoxy is the perfect way to get beautiful and strong, without breaking the bank. Epoxy floors generally offer an incredible range of styles, but if you’re really looking for that special pop, go with metallic. Learn how to install these beautiful floors, and you can take on high-end clients that want that unique design vision fulfilled!
At EpoxyClasses, we offer expert training and certification courses for flooring contractors and installers to ensure that you have the knowledge and skills to achieve the best results with metallic epoxy flooring. Our technicians are only a phone call away at (954) 287-3797! From pigments to resin, the EpoxyETC online store delivers at competitive prices!