Enhance your wood surfaces.
Epoxy’s popularity is soaring year over year, both as a DIY coating & crafting material and in any home, commercial, or industrial renovation projects. Many know it as either a perfect concrete coating, or for its use in smaller DIY projects. Epoxy is an incredibly versatile coating solution, though! This article will help walk you through the benefits of epoxy coatings for wood. By the end, you’ll even know how to apply an epoxy finish for wood surfaces!
Epoxy Coatings for Concrete vs Wood
One of the most common questions when considering epoxy coatings is whether to apply it to concrete or wood. While both surfaces are durable and long-lasting, they do differ in a few key ways.
First, epoxy can be applied much more easily to wood than concrete. The wood’s porous surface allows for better adhesion of epoxy, while concrete is typically non-porous. Second, the finish itself varies depending on whether it is applied to wood or concrete. There are different variations on finishes, like matte, available to an epoxy finish for wood.
How To Apply an Epoxy Coating for Wood
If you already understand how to apply an epoxy coating system to concrete, achieving an epoxy finish for wood surfaces should come naturally to you. This guide helps you to understand the installation process, even if you’re just a DIY rookie!
- 1 First, you will need to prepare your wood surface by cleaning and sanding it thoroughly. This step is crucial for ensuring that the epoxy coating bonds well with your wood. You may also want to apply a base coat of primer before moving on to the epoxy itself.
- 2 Once you have prepped the surface, begin mixing your epoxy coating. Follow the instructions for mixing on the packaging, as this will vary depending on the product you are using and the size of your wood surface. Use a high quality product, like the EpoxyETC line of UV stable polyurethane topcoat solution, to guarantee that perfect finish!
- 3 Once mixed, use a paintbrush or roller to apply an even coat of epoxy to your wood surface. Allow time for it to dry completely before moving on to any additional coats, and use a heat source (hair dryer) to pop any bubbles. Make sure you’re protecting the surfaces under the wood from any dripping epoxy resin!
- 4 If desired, add other decorative details, such as inlays, once the epoxy has cured. Some decorations (e.g., glitter) you add during the installation, rather than after.
- 5 Finally, once your epoxy has fully cured, enjoy your beautiful, long-lasting wood surface!
Epoxy Coatings for Wood Renovation Projects
If you are looking for a durable, long-lasting coating that will protect your wood surface from wear and tear, consider epoxy wood coatings. Whether you are renovating your countertops or updating the flooring, epoxy can be used to create a beautiful, high-quality finish. Our recent article on the benefits of tabletop epoxy coatings will help you understand more!
A great use for epoxy coatings is in protecting wooden decks and outdoor furniture from the elements. Unlike paint or varnish, epoxy creates a durable waterproof barrier that prevents moisture from seeping into wood. For an added touch of elegance, you can also use epoxy resin to create custom inlays and decorative details on your wood surfaces.
Become a Professional Epoxy Installer Today!
Are you interested in learning how to professionally install epoxy surfaces? From floors, to tables and countertops, we’ll teach you how to do it all! Our 5-day Epoxy Classes program is built to help you succeed. Our veteran team of teachers will guide you through the installation process, how to price your services and more! Sign up today and build your future career.
Whether you are looking to protect your wood surfaces from wear and tear or create a unique, decorative finish, epoxy coatings are an excellent choice. With their durable properties, ease of application, and wide range of aesthetic possibilities, epoxy can be used to enhance the look and function of just about any wooden surface. Go DIY, or contact a contractor and have it professionally done!
If you’re doing DIY epoxy renovations, or you’re a contractor needing advice, reach out to us for help! Our technicians are ready to help you, and we’re just a phone call away at (954) 287-3797! The EpoxyETC online store is a great go-to resource for any epoxy or concrete sealing solutions & equipment.